- Apples and bananas. They’re portable, delicious and come in their own natural packaging.
- Granola bar. It’s one of the most popular snack-on-the-go options, and it’s not hard to see why. It’s delicious, easy to pack, and gives you a burst of energy.
- Dried fruit. Most grocery stores have an aisle for dried fruit. Check out the dried cherries, apples and even mangos. You might discover something new you really love.
- Applesauce. This might seem like a challenge, but it’s not. Pick up some of those squeezy applesauces available on the canned fruit aisle of your grocery store. You just unscrew the lid an squeeze. Talk about convenience.
- Cereal or granola. This proves that you don’t have to buy special or fancy snacks. Just pour some of your favorite cereal or granola in a baggie and munch on it when you get hungry.
- Fresh veggies. You might need to do a little bit of prep ahead of time. But sliced carrots, celery, cucumbers and peppers really hit the spot when you have the munchies on the trail.
- Beef jerky. A few pieces of beef jerky can really give you the protein boost you need.
- Hummus. You’re thinking this might be a little messy, right? Well there are hummus to-go packs that are perfect for the trail. Otherwise, pack a big package along with a bag of carrots to feed a larger group.
- Nutella To-Go. We had to include something sweet on the list! Pick up a nutella to-go pack in the peanut butter aisle. Actually, pick up three or four. This one is going to be a popular snack.
- Trail mix. It’s even more fun if you make your own. Use the recipe here or just make up your own.
All-American Park Trail Mix
1/4 Cup California toasted Walnuts
1/4 Cup Georgia toasted Pecans
1/2 Cup Texas Salted Peanuts
1/4 Cup Michigan Dried Cherries
1/4 Cup Dried New Jersey Blueberries
1/2 Cup Dakota Plains Sunflower seeds
1/4 Cup Dried Wisconsin Cranberries
1/4 Cup Dried and diced New York Apples
For a sweet kick add 1/2 cup of your favorite chocolate covered raisin or candy! Mix all in a bowl and toss to combine; store in an airtight container.