Join Our Team
INTERNSHIP JOB DESCRIPTION
Applications Due: Monday, July 16, 2018
National Park Trust (NPT) seeks a Communications and Program Intern to support the efforts behind the annual Kids to Parks Day initiative, the Buddy Bison School program, and the Buddy Bison Great Outdoors program. This individual will assist staff in marketing efforts, program outreach, and preparations as NPT plans for the 2017-2018 school year.
NPT’s mission is preserving parks today; creating park stewards for tomorrow. In the 35 years since NPT was established, the non-profit organization has completed 62 land acquisition, restoration, and mitigation projects in 30 states, 1 U.S. Territory and Washington, D.C. including 49 National Park Service projects.
In 2009, NPT launched its nationally recognized Buddy Bison Programs which currently support more than 200 Title I schools across the country. Since 2011, NPT has organized Kids to Parks Day, an annual national celebration of America’s parks hosted on the third Saturday in May.
NPT has a strong commitment to creating a diverse and inclusive workforce, one that reflects our nation and the people we serve. We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants without regard to unlawful considerations of sex, sexual orientation, gender (including gender identity and/or expression), pregnancy, race, color, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, religion or similar philosophical beliefs, disability, marital and civil union status, age, genetic information, veteran status or any personal attribute or characteristic that is protected by applicable local, state or federal laws.
Candidates must have strong writing, communication, and organization skills, the ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously and a vision for the growth of the programs. This is a seasonal 24 hour/week paid position for 3 months (August-October). Familiarity with web development, particularly WordPress, is a plus. Must be comfortable with making phone calls.
Youth Programs (80%)
- Work with staff to implement NPT action plan based on 2018-2019 goals
- Organize efforts behind Kids to Parks Day 2019 outreach
- Assist staff with maintaining media archive
- Conduct initial outreach to mayors and national partners in support of Kids to Parks Day 2019
Marketing and Communications (20%)
- Work with staff to create social content for multiple platforms
- Draft social media to enhance NPT’s visibility and reach
- Assist with web content and management
- Passion for parks and the outdoors.
- Strong communication skills (written, phone and in-person). Written documents will include email communications, newsletters, press releases, website content, social media, and other needs that arise.
- Self-starter, able to multitask and maintain high level of professionalism at all times.
- Familiarity with web development, particularly WordPress, is a plus.
- Proficient in Gsuite, Microsoft, PowerPoint, Excel spreadsheets, and social media (Facebook, Instagram and Twitter).
- Basic Adobe Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Experience with Excel, PowerPoint, Adobe Creative Suite, Mailchimp, and WordPress, is preferred.
- Ability to work in a team or independently as needed.
- Creative and open to expressing new ideas.
- Excellent organization skills.
- Willing to be flexible with hours depending on needs of the organization.
We offer a friendly, informal, and progressive work environment. This position is located in Rockville, MD with free parking and is metro rail accessible.
Please submit the following to Samantha Jones at email@example.com
- Cover letter explaining your interests, what you hope to gain, and what you can contribute during an internship with NPT
- Current resume
- Three (3) professional or educational reference