COMMUNICATION AND PROGRAM MANAGEMENT INTERN
National Park Trust (NPT) seeks a Communications and Program Management Intern to support the efforts behind the annual Kids to Parks Day initiative, the Buddy Bison School Program, and the Buddy Bison Great Outdoors program. This individual will help with marketing efforts, program outreach, and program management, including creating social media content, managing web content, and conducting outreach to community partners. This is a part-time (16-24 hour/week) temporary paid position (12-24 weeks) in a friendly, informal, and progressive work environment. Interns have the opportunity to work with staff on-site in parks. The program also offers the chance to attend events at the White House, such as the Easter Egg Roll, Halloween, and Tree Lighting.
Who We Are:
NPT’s mission is preserving parks today; creating park stewards for tomorrow. In the 35 years since NPT was established, the non-profit organization has completed 70 land acquisition, restoration, and mitigation projects in 31 states, 1 U.S. Territory and Washington, D.C. including 44 National Park Service projects.
In addition to land projects, NPT’s mission is to cultivate the next generation of park stewards through our national youth programs. NPT’s Buddy Bison School Program is a national environmental youth education program that engages students PreK-8th grade from Title I schools with local, state, and national parks. Our Buddy Bison Programs currently support more than 200 Title I schools across the country. NPT also organizes Kids to Parks Day, an annual national day of play that connects kids and families with their local, state, and national parks.
What You’ll Be Doing:
Youth Programs (80%)
- Work with staff to implement NPT action plan based on 2018-2019 goals
- Organize efforts behind Kids to Parks Day 2019 outreach
- Assist staff with maintaining media archive
- Conduct initial outreach to mayors and national partners in support of Kids to Parks Day 2019
Marketing and Communications (20%)
- Work with staff to create social content for multiple platforms
- Draft social media to enhance NPT’s visibility and reach
- Assist with web content and management
What We’re Looking For:
- Strong communication skills (written, phone, and in-person). Written documents will include email communications, newsletters, press releases, website content, social media, etc.
- Excellent organization skills.
- Ability to multitask and maintain high level of productivity.
- Proficiency with G Suite, Microsoft, PowerPoint, Excel, and social media (Facebook, Instagram and Twitter).
- Basic Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including listening, problem-solving, verbal and non-verbal communication, and displaying initiative with projects.
- Ability to work in a team or independently as needed.
- Familiarity with web development, particularly WordPress, is a plus.
- Willing to be flexible with hours depending on needs of the organization. NPT hosts 1-2 evening/weekend events per season and additional help is appreciated.
- Educational background in environmental education, communications, or a similar field is a plus.
- Preferred applicants will display an interest in the outdoors, youth education, and parks.
- Students enrolled in Environmental Education and/or Communications are highly encouraged to apply.
- NPT will consider applicants who are current freshmen through seniors, as well as recent college graduates.
- College credits may be obtained from this internship, however, students will be expected to complete and submit their own paperwork.
This position is located in Rockville, MD (parking included), the office is also metro rail accessible to the Rockville Station stop on the Red Line.
NPT has a strong commitment to creating a diverse and inclusive workforce, one that reflects our nation and the people we serve. We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants without regard to unlawful considerations of sex, sexual orientation, gender (including gender identity and/or expression), pregnancy, race, color, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, religion or similar philosophical beliefs, disability, marital and civil union status, age, genetic information, veteran status or any personal attribute or characteristic that is protected by applicable local, state or federal laws.
Please submit the following to Samantha Jones at email@example.com by Sunday, February 3, 2019. Interviews will be conducted February 6-8, 2019.
- Cover letter explaining your interests, what you hope to gain, and what you can contribute during an internship with NPT.
- Current resume