Job Title: Education Coordinator
Reports To: Director of Youth Programs
About National Park Trust
For nearly 35 years, National Park Trust (NPT) has enhanced and expanded our national parks, working on hundreds of land preservation projects preserving more than 45,000 acres. NPT also understands the critical importance of engaging young people with our treasured natural, cultural, and historic areas – because kids need parks and parks need kids. Currently NPT connects kids to parks through two major national youth outdoor education programs: the Buddy Bison School Program and Kids to Parks Day.
NPT seeks an Education Coordinator to support the Director of Youth Programs and staff for its growing national youth programs. Candidate must have a passion for parks and outdoor recreation, and also for working with young students (elementary and middle school).
This position will primarily involve working with all aspects of the Buddy Bison School Program, which provides 60+ schools across the country with unique park experiences and educational resources focused on parks and the outdoors. Major responsibilities will include administering field trips and facilitating all logistics. It will also require assisting in NPT’s annual Kids to Parks Day initiative and national school contest. Candidates must have strong writing, communication, and interpersonal skills; the ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously; and a vision for the growth of the program. Those with previous teaching experience are strongly encouraged to apply. This is a full-time position.
Youth Education Programs (90%)
• Assist in all aspects of NPT’s national youth outdoor education programs, including the expansion of the Buddy Bison School Program across the country.
• Administer and coordinate field trip experiences for Buddy Bison Schools nationwide.
• Facilitate all logistics and serve as program lead for Buddy Bison events at/with parks, schools, working with various program partners, Car and driver’s license is required.
• Prepare trip itineraries and track budgets/expenses for schools as needed.
• In-state and out-of-state travel overnight will be required for Buddy Bison School events.
• Prepare written reports on trips and maintain clear communications regarding all trip aspects with Director of Youth Programs and program partners.
• Contribute to weekly agenda for youth programs meetings.
• Maintain and expand Buddy Bison Student Ambassador program.
• Facilitate the Buddy Bison mascot costume rental program.
• Draft articles for NPT’s monthly student newsletter, Buddy Bison’s Buzz.
• Develop education materials, including press releases, resource toolkits, and social media if needed; create NPT youth programs protocols if needed.
• Assist in implementation of annual Kids to Parks Day and Kids to Parks Day national school contest; outreach to mayors across the country and working with national and school partners
• Assist development staff in fundraising for school programs or preparing reports as needed.
Website Management/Other Responsibilities (10%)
• Assist in maintaining NPT student website (buddybison.org); upload articles and create new content.
• Assist Director of Youth Programs in preparing materials for board reports.
• Use social media to enhance NPT’s visibility and reach.
• Bachelor’s degree.
• Strong verbal communication skills (written, phone and in-person).
• Strong written communication skills: Including email communications, newsletters, press releases, website content, social media, and other needs that arise.
• Excellent organization skills; detail oriented and ability to adhere to strict deadlines.
• Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a team or independently as needed.
• Self-starter, ability to work on multiple projects at once.
• Creative and open to expressing new ideas.
• Prior teaching experience is strongly desirable.
• Familiarity with web development, particularly WordPress, is a plus.
• Proficient in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel spreadsheets.
• Basic understanding of social media platforms (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter).
• Basic Adobe Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator skills are highly recommended.
• Willing to be flexible with hours depending on needs of the organization.
*We offer a friendly work environment and competitive benefits package. This position is located in Rockville, MD and is metro accessible.
Please submit resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
Interested in volunteering? Contact Maryann Kearns (301) 279-7275 xt. 15