Communications and Programs Manager
Job Title: Communications and Programs Manager
Reports to: Director of Strategic Partnerships
About National Park Trust
For 36 years, National Park Trust (NPT), a dynamic 501(c)3 nonprofit located in Rockville (MD), has preserved and protected our national parks through the acquisition of high-priority parklands. To date, these efforts have benefited 44 national park sites. NPT also understands the critical importance of engaging children with our treasured natural, cultural, and historic areas, by building a pipeline of future outdoor enthusiasts and conservationists that reflect the rich diversity of our country. Since 2009, this has been accomplished through NPT’s two national youth outdoor education initiatives: the Buddy Bison School Program and Kids to Parks Day.
NPT is looking for a self-motivated and talented Communications and Programs Manager to lead the organization’s overall communications strategy and manage one of NPT’s signature programs, Kids to Parks Day. This position is an excellent opportunity to build experience as a marketing and communications professional for a national non-profit.
The person in this role will be in charge of producing high-quality content that engages external audiences and builds brand recognition. The Communications and Programs Manager’s main duties will also include creating informative and innovative online content, developing and implementing a robust social media strategy, writing press releases and articles, and managing media opportunities to share our organization’s impact, programs, and services. The ideal candidate must be able to multitask and be an excellent communicator with superb writing, presentation, and organizational skills. Candidates should also have a passion for parks and public lands or a willingness to gain a deeper connection with the outdoors. This is a full-time 40 hours/week position.
Communications, Public Relations, Marketing and Social Media (70%)
- Oversee and execute integrated comprehensive communications strategy working closely with Executive Director, Director of Strategic Partnerships, Chief Development Officer, Director of Youth Programs, Office Administrator, and PR and Digital Strategy consultants.
- Draft and edit content to ensure that messaging is timely, relevant and consistent with NPT’s program, branding, and communication goals.
- Create and share engaging, timely, and dynamic content and copy to distribute across a variety of communication platforms and channels.
- Manage online community by monitoring and cultivating online conversations with fans and followers and provide timely responses to incoming queries.
- Closely monitor social media platforms and website analytics and content performance, compiling reports that interpret the data for NPT and Kids to Parks Day.
- Design, write, copy-edit, and produce communications materials including website features, newsletter articles, reports, fact sheets, presentations, printed materials, video scripts, social media, annual report, and more.
- Assist in the development of the monthly editorial calendar, researching current news, industry trends, relevant upcoming cultural moments to incorporate, and topics relevant to public lands.
- Manage process and update photo library including photos from youth programs and land programs.
- Produce short program and donor focused videos.
- Create informative and interesting press kits for local and national media and organize deskside briefing as appropriate.
- Coordinate and assist with event planning.
- Serve as one of the spokespersons for NPT.
- Support board with communication and program materials.
Program Management (30%)
- Manage and oversee all operational aspects of NPT’s national Kids to Parks Day working closely with the Director of Strategic Partnerships, Executive Director, and Office Administrator, and PR and Digital Strategy consultants.
- Coordinate communication plans with national partners, collaborators, and sponsors.
- Engagement and communications with mayors and town councils across the country.
- Engagement and communications with parks and public lands officials – local, state and national.
- Oversight of accurate and timely content on Kids to Parks Day website (kidstoparks.org).
- Develop partner and event host toolkits with tools and resources to help partners and hosts with local and national outreach.
- Manage interns throughout the year.
- Work with Director of Strategic Partnerships to create KTP promotional materials including stickers, posters, banners, t-shirts and more.
Required experience and expertise:
- Exceptional communications skills – written, verbal, and visual with 5 years of experience with traditional and social media.
- Project management experience (3+ years) and ability to work effectively with a team and meet deadlines.
- Strong organization skills with the ability to multi-task and pay attention to detail.
- Confident public speaker
- Creative and strategic thinker
- A high proficiency with Excel, PowerPoint, Adobe Creative Suite, Mailchimp, and WordPress, is preferred.
- Proven professional experience using social media platforms (including, but not limited to, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn) to engage online audiences and communicate organizational priorities.
- Proven flexibility in writing styles, both in creative and tactical materials.
- Analytical thinking, research, and editing skills.
- Excited to serve as a team member with a can-do attitude and with strong relationship-building skills who is nimble and tactical under pressure.
- Flexibility and poise while juggling multiple projects in a fast-paced environment with ability to troubleshoot when necessary.
- A passion for the mission and desire to gain great experience.
- Some travel is required.
- Bachelor’s Degree required
If you know you are the perfect candidate for this position, we want to hear from you. Please submit a cover letter and resume to Human Resources at HR@parktrust.org. Please indicate “Communications and Programs Manager” in the subject line of the e-mail. Your cover letter should explain your interests, what you hope to gain, and what you can contribute to the position.