Job Title: Education Intern (seasonal)
Organization: National Park Trust (parktrust.org)
Reports to: Director of Youth Programs
About National Park Trust
Mission: Preserving Parks Today; Creating Park Stewards for Tomorrow
For more than 30 years, National Park Trust (NPT) has enhanced our system of national, state, and local parks by completing more than 100 land preservation projects in 33 states and Washington, D.C. Since 2009, NPT has been working to cultivate the next generation of park stewards through our two national youth programs, Kids to Parks Day and our Buddy Bison School Program. With the Centennial of the National Park Service in 2016, NPT has the unique opportunity to make park preservation projects into a thousand teachable moments, by preserving critical parklands and engaging our youth especially those that are under-served with park education programs, outdoor recreation, and park stewardship.
NPT seeks an Education Intern (seasonal) to support the Director of Youth Programs and other youth programs staff. This individual will assist in supporting all aspects of our youth programs, including the Buddy Bison School Program, which provides 60+ schools across the county with unique park experiences and educational assistance focused on the outdoors. Candidates must have strong writing and communication skills, the ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously and a vision for the growth of the programs. Those with previous experience working with children are strongly encouraged to apply. This is a seasonal 40 hour/week position. Familiarity with web development, particularly Joomla, is a plus. Depending on funding, there is an opportunity for the position to become a permanent, full time position.
Youth Education Programs (80%)
Works on all aspects of NPT's youth programs, including Buddy Bison School Program and Kids to Parks Day.
- Draft articles for our monthly student’s newsletter.
- Assist in the development and coordination of project-based learning field trips.
- Develop education materials including press releases, classroom toolkit and social media.
Website Management (20%)
- Maintain and update student centered websites including kidstoparks.org and buddybison.org.
- Use social media to enhance NPT’s visibility and reach.
- Write and edit all web content.
- Passion for working with parks and outdoor.
- Passion for working with under-served students.
- Strong communication skills (written, phone and in-person). Written documents will include email communications, newsletters, press releases, website content, social media, and other needs that arise.
- Self-starter, able to multitask and maintain high level of professionalism at all times.
- Familiarity with web development, particularly Joomla, is a plus.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel, and social media (Facebook, Instagram and Twitter).
- Basic Adobe Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work in a team or independently as needed.
- Creative and open to expressing new ideas.
- Excellent organization skills.
- Willing to be flexible with hours depending on needs of the organization.
*We offer a friendly, informal and progressive work environment. This position is located in Rockville, MD and is metro accessible.
Please submit cover letter and resume to HR@parktrust.org.