National Trails & Parkways
No results found in this location. Please try again.
In the 35 years since NPT was established, it has carried out its preservation mission by completing more than 60 land acquisition, restoration, and mitigation projects for more than 30,000 acres in 30 states and 1 U.S. Territory and Washington, D.C. including 51 National Park Service projects in 42 National Park Service Units, 3 U.S. Forest Service projects, 3 National Wildlife Refuge projects and 9 state and local park projects.
Wrangell-St. Elias National Park and Preserve (1986)NPT facilitated and provided partial funding for the purchase by NPS of the Chittitu Mine and property of 907 acres for incorporation into the park. The mine was one of the most productive for gold in the first half of the twentieth century.
Yukon-Charley Rivers National Preserve (1986)NPT assisted in the donation of Coal Creek claims to the National Park Service, valued at over 5 million dollars.
Afognak Island State Park (2004)The National Park Trust (NPT) provided funds to the Brown Bear Trust to help with the preservation of Kodiak Island. With NPT's assistance, they have established a volunteer coordinator who pays particular attention to bear habitat issues.
Ouachita National Forest (2004)NPT played a critical role in obtaining the conservation easement of the 2,300 acre Johnnycake Ranch, and we continue to hold and monitor it. Johnnycake Ranch provides habitat protection for the American Bald Eagle while benefiting the Wilderness Area and National Forest on its borders. It provides a buffer zone to ensure the continued ecological viability of these federal assets.
Redwood National Park (1997)NPT gave the NPS funding to support the administrative process of accepting the donation of the Prairie Creek Fish Hatchery from the State of California. Acquisition of the hatchery, in the park’s scenic corridor and one of only three in the state built before 1946, ensured protection of streamside vegetation and maintenance of the park cultural landscape.
San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park (1998)NPT loaned the National Maritime Museum Association funds necessary to complete a major restoration of the Balclutha, a historic three-mast square-rigger with a steel hull, built in 1886 as a cargo ship. The full-rigged vessel is an important part of the collection at San Francisco Maritime National Historic Park, and the loan from National Park Trust ensured the ship would survive intact for many years.
Sequoia National Park (1998)NPT provided funds to complete the purchase of the last remaining private land in the Mineral King/Sequoia National Park area of the Sequoia-Kings Canyon National Park, California. A local rancher who was prospecting struck silver at what became the White Chief Mine, and spawned the silver rush of 1873 to 1881. Today the area is popular with hikers, who can travel the 2.9-mile trail into a scenic and undeveloped area of the park. Before the purchase, the private inholding was being marketed for possible use as a private residence or ski area, with helicopter access.
Joshua Tree National Park (2001)In 2001 NPT purchased an 80-acre in-holding in Joshua Tree National Park which contained a critical segment of the Rockhouse and Thermal Canyon Trail network. The property was also an excellent habitat for the chuckwalla, a large, shy lizard. The property is located in a wild, rugged, and remote corner of the park affording visitors wonderful opportunities for solitude and a sense of discovery. NPT donated the parcel to the National Park Service (NPS) which will ensure it's protection it in perpetuity.
Point Reyes National Seashore (2001)NPT staff provided technical assistance on how to proceed with the transfer of major telecommunication in-holding to NPS.
Mojave National Preserve, Ivanpah Desert Tortoise Research Facility (2014)The Ivanpah Desert Tortoise Research Facility was acquired and built by Chevron in 2011 as a creative partnership between the company, the National Park Service and National Park Trust. It was part of a settlement to satisfy park land mitigation obligations for impacts by the Mountain Pass rare earth mine on the desert tortoise (Gopherus agassizii), a species listed as threatened under the Endangered Species Act. National Park Trust took over custody and management of the facility under a lease from Chevron while the National Park Service completed due diligence for transfer of the property from the corporation to NPS ownership. Under this arrangement, NPS was able to begin research there immediately, over two years ahead of the time when they took ownership of the facility in late 2014. Chevron also donated an additional $491,000 to NPT which is it distributing to NPS over 6-years (2011-2017) for research projects. Check out our other land mitigation projects.
Mojave National Preserve (2002 & 1998)NPT purchased a 1.5-acre parcel containing a historic school house for the National Park Service. NPT then distributed almost $34,000 to local conservation groups from the Hesperia Flood Settlement.
California State Parks (2004)NPT has been a resource to the State in the protection of a biologically significant hill region.
Yosemite National Park (2010)NPT partnered with the Pacific Forest Trust to help the National Park Service expand Yosemite National Park’s western boundary to include approximately 1,000 acres which were part of naturalist John Muir’s original vision for the park. NPT has also helped complete the steps needed for the additional acquisition of ‘trophy’ properties under threat of development. Acquisition of these vital lands represented an important milestone in celebration of the park’s centennial celebration in 2016.
Pinnacles National Park (2011)NPT accepted the donation of a property, the Bear Valley School, which was adjacent to Pinnacles National Park (formerly Pinnacles National Monument). The one-room school house was significant to the history of the community. It was funded by local donations and constructed in 1903, serving as a school until 1950. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2014, and remains as a well-preserved example of the common school movement in the United States. The 1.5-acre property maintained the only public school in the community for half a century and most of the people who homesteaded the community sent their children there. Though it closed as a school in 1950, it took on a new role as a community hall, managed by the Farm Bureau. It hosted Farm Bureau meetings, church functions, organizations such as 4H, and was a venue for community events such as holiday celebrations and card parties. NPT donated the property to the National Park Service to be protected in perpetuity as part of Pinnacles National Park.
Yosemite National Park – Ackerson Meadow (2016)NPT partnered with the Trust for Public Land (TPL) to acquire and donate an environmentally important adjacent property of 400 acres for inclusion in Yosemite National Park. NPT has provided the due diligence and transaction costs. The NPS has modified the boundary to include the property in the Park. TPL closed on the acquisition in February 2016.
Rocky Mountain National Park (2016)In 2016, National Park Trust partnered with Rocky Mountain Conservancy, The Wilderness Land Trust, and local funders to purchase a 12.5-acre property that was going to be listed for sale for only the second time in the last seventy years. With a 2,000 square foot house perched on a rocky overlook and easy motorized access, the demand for this private property within Wild Basin would have been great. It was the largest privately-held, developed parcel located in that area of the Park. The removal of the house and access drive followed by addition of the parcel to the Park will enable the Park to formally add 33 acres to the federally designated Rocky Mountain National Park Wilderness Area.
Maroon Bells-Snowmass Wilderness Area (2010)The National Park Trust and the Wilderness Land Trust formed a partnership and acquired a 10-acre inholding perched on a high ridge within the Maroon Bells-Snowmass Wilderness Area in the White River National Forest. This pristine property is located in the majestic mountain ranges between Aspen and Crested Butte, Colorado. The parcel has been transferred to the US Forest Service for inclusion in the wilderness area.
District of Columbia
Rock Creek Park (2004)NPT purchased a parcel of land in the historic Brightwood neighborhood of Washington, DC, adjacent to the Fort Stevens section of Rock Creek Park. The lot had been approved for a 13-townhouse development, which would have changed the character of the community, as well as taking more land away from what had been Civil War era Fort Stevens. The Civil War battle at the fort was notable for several reasons. Seasoned soldiers at the fort turned away an attack on and threat to the Nation’s capital by Confederate General Jubal Early. And President Abraham Lincoln, who went to see the battle, became the only president in history to come under fire, when Confederate sharpshooters shot at him as he watched the fighting. Acquisition of the property, and transfer to the National Park Service helped preserve an important historical landmark, as well as fulfilling the local community’s desire to maintain their neighborhood as a cultural and historical heritage area.
Big Cypress National Preserve (1985 & 1990)NPT purchased 100 acres of privately-held land from 18 separate owners, for incorporation into the Preserve. The agreement with the National Park Service was that the Trust would hold title for the land until federal funds were available to purchase it from them. The NPS was able to buy the property, and thus protect forever an area of ideal habitat for the endangered Florida panther.
Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park (2013)In honor of the 150th anniversary of the Civil War, NPT helped acquire a critical inholding at Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield in Georgia. NPT is also developing a program where students and the community will have an opportunity to work with the park to ensure the property is protected in perpetuity.
Martin Luther King, Jr. National Historic Site (1996)NPT worked with the National Park Service to purchase three parcels of privately held land at the park. The NPS was able to remove dilapidated buildings on the properties and said it made it possible to create a “welcoming gateway” for visitors to the park. The purchase also made construction of better parking facilities and consequently better access to the park possible.
Hawaii Volcanoes National Park (1985)NPT provided technical assistance in a 5,650-acre federal/state land exchange.
Craters of the Moon National Monument (1997)NPT purchased a 37-acre parcel of land and transferred it to the National Park Service to become part of the monument, and completed the acquisition of lands within the boundaries of the park. The land acquired was the source of year-around water flow, the park’s main water supply and the only source of potable water in the park. The acreage added to the diversity of wildlife habitat as well as giving the park greater ability to manage and protect natural resources at the park.
Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore (2016)In August 2013, the superintendent of Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore asked if NPT would acquire, hold title, and donate two parcels totaling 32.5 acres to the park. The acreage expands the park boundary to connect the visitor center, which was surrounded by private land, with the rest of the park. The project was funded by Northern Indiana Public Service Company (NIPSCO), a subsidiary of NISOURCE Energy as part of a $1.5 million EPA consent decree, with National Park Trust acting as its land mitigation partner. The protection of this parcel prevents the land from being developed, and it will now be used for exhibits on restoration methods used throughout the lakeshore. NPT held title to the properties until the land was transferred to NPS for permanent ownership in 2016. Check out our other land mitigation projects.
Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve (2005 & 1994)National Park Trust played a singular role in the establishment of the first national park unit devoted to the natural and cultural history of the tallgrass prairie ecosystem –Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve in the Flint Hills of Kansas. In 1994, NPT acquired the 10,894-acre Spring Hills/Z-Bar ranch, and began a unique public/private partnership with the National Park Service for development and management of the new park. NPT donated 32 acres of land to the NPS, and retained ownership of the remaining land. In 2005, the Nature Conservancy purchased the remaining acreage and today manages the Preserve in partnership with the National Park Service. Check out or other land mitigation projects.
Abraham Lincoln Birthplace National Historical Park (1999)From 1811 to 1816, Abraham Lincoln and his family lived on the Knob Creek Farm; he was quoted as saying that his time there was the “earliest remembrance” of his life. NPT awarded a grant of $10,000 to Preservation of Lincoln's Kentucky Heritage, Inc. for an option to buy the 228-acre property. Exercising the option kept the land from being sold to someone else while the group raised almost $1,000,000 to buy it, with another $10,000 from NPT for administrative costs, to complete the deal in 2001. The farm was transferred to the National Park Service in 2002.
Appalachian National Scenic Trail (2017)
National Park Trust (NPT) worked with The Trust for Public Land (TPL) on the acquisition of an adjacent 1,500-acre parcel of old-growth woodland to benefit the National Park Service’s Appalachian National Scenic Trail (AT). The remoteness and scenic views make the property an iconic destination for backcountry adventures that combine paddling and hiking on the AT into a single day’s outing. The adjacent pond contains landlocked arctic char. The federally-listed threatened Canada Lynx roams nearby along with moose, fisher and black bears. It is one of the largest 150-year-old forest blocks in central Maine.
Acadia National Park (1985)NPT received a 4.76-acre parcel of land on Mount Desert Island as a bequest in April 1985, and remained in possession until November 1990, when the National Park Service purchased it for inclusion into Acadia National Park.
Maryland Department of Natural Resources, Oxley Island (1993)In 1991 NPT purchased the 30-acre island in order to protect the view shed of the Chesapeake & Ohio Canal. The state of Maryland purchased the island in 1993 from NPT, and it is incorporated into the Maryland “Islands of the Potomac” Wildlife Management Area.
Appalachian National Scenic Trail (1996)NPT preserved property atop South Mountain, a site of a Confederate battery during the battle of South Mountain.
Piscataway Park (2001)NPT awarded a grant to the Trust for Public Land to make possible the purchase of 56 acres on Piscataway Creek, to be transferred to the National Park Service. The owner of the parcel intended to subdivide and build on the property had NPT, TPL and the Mount Vernon Ladies’ Association not partnered to make the acquisition. The location of the acreage, and it’s incorporation into Piscataway Park were critical to the permanent preservation, as Congress directed, of “…lands which provide the principal overview from the Mount Vernon Estate and Fort Washington, in a manner that will insure, insofar as practical, the natural beauty of such lands as it existed at the time of...active use of Mount Vernon and Fort Washington…”
Minute Man National Historical Park (1991)National Park Trust partnered with the Trust for Public Land in the purchase of the 22.8-acre Perry Farm, which was incorporated into the park in 1992. The land was significant in that, during the April 19, 1775 battle, colonial militiamen gathered there in preparation for the coming fight.
Mississippi National River & Recreation Area (1998)NPT assisted the City of Dayton, MN with financial support to bridge a “funding gap,” which made it possible to acquire and preserve 20 acres of natural bluffs overlooking the national river.
Bruce Vento Nature Sanctuary (2009 & 2013)In 2009 National Park Trust partnered with the Apache Software Foundation to incorporate their gracious gift of 300 native trees into the restoration of this unique 27-acre urban park. In a “hands-on” exercise, local school children planted the trees. They became part of the sanctuary’s landscape, which includes spring-fed wetland, a floodplain forest, prairie, and oak woodland habitats. The site also contains an unusual concentration of cultural resources. In 2013, NPT was able to work with the 3M Foundation who provided the lead gift to create an outdoor classroom for the sanctuary.
Missouri State Parks Foundation (2003)The Missouri State Parks Foundation is a non-profit corporation formed in 2002 by of a group of citizens committed to enhancing the state park system across Missouri. Though established in that year, they did not have the funds to begin operation. In 2003, NPT provided the financial assistance needed for the Foundation start-up. The work of the Foundation includes a partnership with Missouri State Parks to sponsor the annual Katy Trail Ride, a bicycle tour on the longest rail trail (241 miles) in the U.S. The Foundation is funded by donation and run by volunteers.
Glacier National Park (2012)In 2012, NPT worked with the Trust for Public Land (TPL) to protect the Doody homestead, a 120-acre tract of land owned by one of the park’s first rangers, from development. It is east of the West Glacier entrance, along the banks of the Middle Fork of the Flathead River, and is the second largest in-holding bought in the park. It is a popular stop among the thousands of rafters and anglers who pass by there each year. TPL purchased the property from the owner using resources from the Land and Water Conservation Fund (LWCF). NPT provided due diligence costs not covered by LWCF.
Red Rock Lakes National Wildlife Refuge (2001)National Park Trust matched funds with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to buy a 40-acre in-holding to incorporate into the refuge. The purchase protected the habitat on a piece of property that was prone to development. The refuge was authorized in 1935 to protect and allow the species recovery of the trumpeter swan. Acquisition of the parcel better protects their habitat along with that of birds such as the white pelican, white-faced ibis and sandhill crane.
Boyer Chute National Wildlife Refuge (2000)NPT awarded grants which supplied “gap” funding for the timely purchase by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service of two parcels that totaled 280 acres. Acquiring the land furthered the purpose of the refuge; to restore essential wildlife habitat that became scarce after the river was "improved" for navigation in the 1960s. The refuge is on a major migratory waterfowl flyway, and shelters endangered species such as the peregrine falcon, interior least tern, and piping plover.
Pecos National Historical Park (1992 & 1997)In 1992 NPT assisted in the purchase of the 40-acre Rivera Tract within the Glorieta Pass region of Pecos National Monument. Then in 1997, assisted with the acquisition of land within Pigeon's Ranch, a battlefield in Glorieta Pass. The Battle of Glorieta Pass was one of the most important Civil War battles to take place in the Far West.
El Malpais National Monument (1994)NPT helped to purchase 5 acres in a subdivision inside the boundaries of the park. It was part of a larger project by NPS to acquire remaining in-holdings in the park.
Bandelier National Monument (1998)NPT provided funds to complete the purchase of 90 acres at Elk Meadows on the northwest side of the park. Acquisition and incorporation of the parcel into Bandelier National Monument protected the park watershed and several archaeological sites from the onset of housing development in the area. The owner of the land had subdivided it and intended to develop it if NPT had not contributed to the purchase.
Appalachian National Scenic Trail, NY (2018)NPT partnered with The Trust for Public Land, Appalachian Trail Conservancy and Oblong Land Conservancy in the $2.38 million purchase of 219 acres of wooded land which will become National Park Service property on the Appalachian National Scenic Trail. The project was the number one priority for NPS nationwide for 2018. Visitors can reach the property by a 2-hour train trip from Grand Central Station in New York City, disembarking at the Appalachian Trail Train Stop. The addition of the property to the AT allows a re-route of the trail, moving it away from the habitat of two endangered species: the bog turtle and New England cottontail rabbit. It also preserves several scenic viewpoints; the land would have been sold for a residential subdivision had it not been acquired for the AT.
Women’s Rights National Historical Park (1997 & 1993)NPT helped purchase Baldwin House to be used as a Visitor Center by the NPS. In a separate transaction in 1996, NPT helped the NPS acquire the final parcel of the historic Elizabeth Cady Stanton lot.
Fort Union Trading Post National Historic Site (2001)NPT worked with the park superintendent, supplying funding for the acquisition of two parcels of land on the banks of the Missouri River, across from the park. The two tracts, totaling about 21 acres, allowed NPS to maintain the cultural landscape; visitors standing at the fort would be able to look across the river and see a scene that appeared much as it was when the fort and trading post was in operation during the mid-1800s. The purchased land also preserved shoreline wetlands.
Washita Battlefield National Historic Site (2018)National Park Trust worked with the National Park Service and the Oklahoma Historical Society on the acquisition of an important 3-acre property inside Washita Battlefield National Historic Site (OK). NPT staff did research on and proposed a strategy and funds for purchase and transfer of the land to the National Park Service, solving a problem that had stalled the project for 21 years. The parcel, located along the south edge of the park, provides the best vantage point to view the battlefield landscape. On this acreage, the National Park Service is developing an overlook facility and trail improvements that will enhance the visitor experience at the park. NPT’s assistance is timely; 2018 marks 150 years since the early morning surprise attack by the U.S. 7th Cavalry forces, led by George Armstrong Custer, on the village of Southern Cheyenne Peace Chief Black Kettle, November 27, 1868. Black Kettle and his wife lost their lives in the attack, and Custer retreated when he saw a superior force assembling on the hills near the village. The project would not have been possible without the partnership with the Oklahoma Historical Society, and their great interest in preserving this important site and its story.
John Day Fossil Beds National Monument (1998)NPT purchased 40 acres from the state of Oregon in the Painted Hills unit of the park, and transferred it to NPS by donation. The acreage protected and preserved has significant paleontological resources, as well as a unique and colorful geology. It also transferred a portion of park access road from private ownership. Fossils on the parcel date back about 30-million years and provide great examples of prehistoric plants and seeds.
Gettysburg National Military Park (1998)NPT, Friends of the National Parks at Gettysburg, and the Civil War Trust cooperated to fund purchase of a 135-acre scenic and preservation easement of the historic John Rummel Farm. The land was the site of a cavalry engagement on the last day of the battle in which Confederate forces under the command of General JEB Stuart attempted an attack on the rear of the Union forces. They were stopped by cavalry units led by Union General David M. Gregg; one his more aggressive officers in repelling the attack was General George Armstrong Custer.
Lake Meredith National Recreation Area (2018)National Park Trust completed a project to preserve an archaeological area containing evidence of the Antelope Creek people, a Native American tribe. The acquisition and donation of this 3-acre property will enhance the open space and views of a nearby trail, and the enjoyment of individuals who hike to the mesa in which the parcel is located. With this land acquisition, there are no further inholdings or private landowners within the recreation area.
Zion National Park, UT (2018)National Park Trust worked with The Trust for Public Land and the National Park Foundation to purchase the 35 acre in-holding—a privately owned piece of land inside the park—and donate the land to the National Park Service. The land is near Firepit Knoll, on the Kolob Terrace in the north west area of the park and is an important section of the park for hikers traveling the popular Hop Valley Trail. In protecting this area from development, visitors can continue to enjoy the natural landscape and scenic views unique to Zion. This is the second project for NPT at Zion National Park; in 2012, we assisted TPL with the acquisition of 30 acres on Kolob Terrace at the foot of Tabernacle Dome.
Zion National Park (2012)At Zion National Park in southwestern Utah, The National Park Trust (NPT) partnered with the Trust for Public Lands (TPL), to protect a 30 acre property on the Kolob Terrace at the foot of Tabernacle Dome, a steeply rounded peak rising to 6430 ft. from Cave Valley. An anonymous donor, working with the National Parks Conservation Association (NPCA) and The Trust for Public Land, donated $825,000 so the land could be purchased and given to the park. NPT provided funds to accomplish the important due diligence steps to complete the acquisition of the land from a private owner. The land can be viewed along the Kolob Terrace road, a popular scenic route and the Tabernacle Dome area is popular for its hiking trails, camping, and spectacular vistas. Protection of this 30 acre property expands public access and ensures that views cherished by visitors will not be diminished by development. At least one property in the area that wasn’t part of the 30 acres has been built upon.
Hovenweep National Monument and Bureau of Land Management (1998)National Park Trust assisted the Bureau of Land Management with funds to acquire 640 acres of private land south of Hovenweep National Monument. Purchase of the property protected the viewshed and natural quiet of the park. The property was outside the park’s legislated boundary, so it was necessary for the BLM to purchase it for the protection of park resources.
Colonial National Historical Park (1994)NPT loaned funds for the purchase of 20 undeveloped lots in a subdivision along the Colonial Parkway, in Colonial National Historical Park. The subdivision was under active development, so acquisition of the parcels protected the viewshed along the parkway, as well as adding a buffer between the residences and the park.
Ebey’s Landing National Historical Reserve, WA (2018)National Park Trust filled a funding gap required to purchase a property at Ebey's Landing National Historical Reserve. NPT, Historic Whidbey, National Park Foundation, National Park Service, and numerous local partners worked together to make the acquisition. The property which includes a length of shoreline on Penn Cove, an offshoot of Skagit Bay was also the site of the 150-year old historic Haller House, one of Washington state’s oldest homes. The house was initially built in 1859 before Colonel Granville Haller, a Civil War veteran, arrived on Whidbey Island in 1866 and purchased the property. The house has remained largely untouched from its original construction, and its historic appearance will be protected by a permanent easement.
Olympic National Park (2017)
In December 2017, the first year in the second century of the National Park Service, NPT completed the acquisition of a property at Olympic National Park (WA) – just under 0.5 acres. Although small in size, it is big in ecological significance. The parcel was surrounded on three sides by Olympic National Park; it was the only parcel in that block that did not belong to the National Park Service. Its acquisition will keep it in its natural state by preventing further development. It helps protect Grandey Creek, which runs along the property edge, as well as water quality for the Quinault River and Lake, adjacent to the park. The lake and river system support populations of sockeye, chum and Chinook salmon as well as steelhead, bull and Dolly Varden trout. The Quinault National Fish Hatchery, downstream from the lake, raises salmon and steelhead which populate the river. All deserve protection.
Olympic National Park (1990)NPT preserved 6 acres of scenic giant forest and spotted owl habitat adjacent to Lake Quinault.